Friday, July 29, 2016

D is for Dreaming


Margaret talks about dreams.

 
I have to confess I’ve never gone to sleep and dreamt about any of my characters, but I do day-dream about them. Especially my heroes! I live the heroine’s part as I write which is why writing romance has to be the best job in the world. In talks I used to give I’d begin by saying how many love affairs I’d had! It always got a gasp, and then a laugh.

Characters come alive when you write about them, they become real people. I meet this handsome man who initially can irritate me but I know all will change. While at other times I fall instantly in love and dream about a life we could spend together.

Does this sound silly? Not if you’re a writer.

The fact that I’d read romance long before I began writing helped, and how enjoyable it is being able to make up my own stories. I’m sometimes asked if I ever run out of ideas. Occasionally I think I have, but then without warning something will pop into my head and I’m off again.

What I would like to dream is a whole story, something made up for me so that all I had to do was write it down. Wishful thinking.

According to my Collins New English Dictionary there is also something called a dream-hole – which has nothing to do with dreaming or even writing but it spiked my interest. It is in fact a hole left in a church steeple to let in the light, and also let out the sound of the bells. I’d always thought these slatted holes were for ventilation purposes!

At the moment I’m creating a new story. It’s at its very early stages so I wonder whether I’ll be lucky enough to actually dream some life into it. Only time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. I've had dreams about specific inspirations for my characters, but never about my actual characters. My inspiration often comes right before I fall asleep, though, as I've said before. But you're right, falling in love with our characters and creating their worlds is definitely the best part of this job! Well, that and convincing someone to buy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiration always seems to come before we fall asleep. I've jotted notes in the dark and hardly been able to read them the next day.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a dream about any of my characters, either. But like you, I definitely day dream about them. Sometimes as I'm going about day to day tasks, I'll act out how it could work as a scene in a book. I always cast myself in the role of the heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of you acting the role of your heroine. Do you ever get caught out?

      Delete
  3. I have never dreamed about a character. I rarely remember my dreams.
    But I love how you said, "dream life into a character." Inspiration will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. But you have to admit they are real people when we write about them.

      Delete
  4. I've never dreamt about any of my characters but when I'm writing a story, I tend to feel they are 'with me' all the time. It's hard sometimes to let them go once I've submitted the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. It means you're living their story with them. You become them. Wonderful.

      Delete