Friday, June 3, 2016

V is for Virgo


 
Margaret talks about using star signs for her characters

 
I sometimes refer to an astrology book when I’m creating characters. The one I mostly use is Linda Goodman’s Sun Signs. For instance when describing the Virgo man she says he lives almost entirely on a practical, material level and couldn’t care less about storybook romance. Well, that sums up my heroes exactly.

She goes on to say they’re deeply involved with love from earliest childhood, but not the Romeo-Juliet kind. He’s too concerned with work, love of duty and discipline and devotion to the helpless.

They also tend to seek quality in a romance rather than quantity. Therefore they have very few real love affairs and the ones they do have are more often than not destined to be unlucky or sad in some way.

But he can, when he wants to be, a master of the art of subtle seduction, even though he takes his time finding a woman to love.

Sounds like one of my heroes!

 

So how about the Virgo woman?  Basically shy, but she also has a determination to pursue happiness where her path takes her. She’s interested only in pure love, and is the only woman in the zodiac who can be deadly practical and divinely romantic at the same time.

They are also perfectionists, believing no one can do things as orderly and efficiently as they can. She has a mental block when it comes to admitting she’s wrong – so the smart thing would be to take the blame straight away. Most of the time she’ll be right so why fight it? When she’s back into her normal mood, she’s such an exquisite delight, you won’t care who won or lost.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9 comments:

  1. I know Ana makes complete astrology profiles for her characters. I've never done it, but I might have to look into it for something in the future. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting, Jennifer, though I don't go so far as Ana and make complete astrology profiles.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't do this before or while actually writing a story, because my characters develop as I write them, almost of their own accord, and I wouldn't want to cramp their style by deciding beforehand what characteristics they might have! Having said that, it might be interesting (in my case) to decide afterwards which 'sun sign' they fit the best although (as I'm sure Ana will point out) the sun sign is only one part of an astrological profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually do a little character study before I start writing, although I'm not saying that they don't 'step out of it' sometimes. Characters do have a way of taking you by surprise on the odd occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start with a name and an occupation, and a little bit of backstory, but I let their characteristics evolve as I write their stories.

      Delete
  4. Virgo are very practical. They are natural healers, too. Love pets. Attuned in the workplace to the needs of their co-workers. Their sense of partnership is internal--meaning they tend to show their affection in indirectly thoughtful ways.
    Just knowing the Sun signs is a boon for character profiles.
    I'm happy this works for you, Margaret!
    Have a great vacation. (Where are you off to?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I'm very much a combination of my sun sign and rising sign, and I've known people who were nothing like their sun signs (my father for one, and my ex for another!) so I'm reluctant to place too much importance on it.

      Delete
  5. Definitely an interesting way to come up with character traits.

    I tend to write more like Paula, though, my characters develop as the story goes on and I get to know them better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete