Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A is for Aviva

Jennifer talks about the heroine of Book 3...

The third book in my Women of Valor series is called Selecting Aviva. I’ve written the first draft and my critique partner who focuses on plot has seen it. She didn’t hate it! So, now I’m starting on first round edits. It needs a lot of work—there are plot holes large enough to fit me into them, Aviva’s profession changes about a quarter of the way through and I need to layer in the Jewish stuff, among other things. But it’s a completed draft, so I’m optimistic.

Aviva was a fun character to write. She’s younger than most of my other heroines—she’s just out of college and working in her first job. Although I started off having her be a museum curator, I couldn’t make that work, so she’s in public relations and is planning a fundraising gala at an art museum. I really wanted to get the museum in somehow, and this worked. She’s got spunk and confidence.

The story takes place in New York City, and she’s tired of the guys she’s been meeting. They all want to be high-powered professionals and try to impress her with their stock portfolio or big plans for the future. Aviva’s not into that. She doesn’t want to compete with a job. She wants to be the most important thing in someone’s life. Thus, the title, Selecting Aviva. The title also works, because Aviva meets the hero at a speed dating event.

Although I expect much of the story to change, here are the opening lines. What do you think?

“Mom, he didn’t stop talking about himself the entire time.”
Aviva Shulman sank onto her bed, phone to her ear, and kicked off her shoes. The fluffy down comforter enveloped her and, for the first time all evening, she heaved a sigh of relief.
   “Oh, honey, maybe he was just nervous.”
   Aviva snorted. “Him? According to his credentials, which he presented to me, in writing no less when we sat down at the table, he closes multi-million dollar real-estate deals with the uber-wealthy of Manhattan on a regular basis. There was no way he was nervous about having dinner with little ole museum curator me.”
   “Don’t disparage yourself, Aviva. You’ve studied hard for your position and you’re good at it. You bring beauty to people and the world needs beauty.”
   Aviva’s chest swelled and her eyes filled with tears. “Oh, mom, I love you.”
   “I love you too.”
   “I think I need a break from dating, though. I haven’t met anyone even halfway decent in months. I’d be better off alone than with these over-inflated, peacock men.”
   “Then take a break, honey. Just don’t get a cat.”


8 comments:

  1. Quick question--what was Aviva's major, and how was she able to land a good job in the city right after graduating? lol sorry, I love a good back story..and Aviva sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, it's pretty easy to find an entry-level job in PR right after graduation (I should know, I did!). And with two roommates, she can live in the city too. As for her major, I'll figure it out and let you know. :)

      Delete
  2. I like her mom's advice not to get a cat LOL!
    BTW Aviva is a well-known insurance company here in the UK - so any UK readers might think your book is an advert for Aviva life, home or car insurance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Well, that's a chance I'll have to take. I really like the name and it fits with the Jewish theme. And hey, maybe I can turn it into a marketing opportunity! ;)

      Delete
  3. The mom's line about the cat made me laugh, too. :)

    I've had to change professions for my characters in a book. It takes a lot of finagling. I'm glad you were able to keep the museum aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wanted her to be a curator, but it was too complicated for me to do properly and I just couldn't deal. Kind of bummed, but this one works too.

      Delete
  4. I love her name. And her mom. "Just don't get a cat." is a great line!

    ReplyDelete