Friday, July 10, 2015

A is for August

Margaret introduces August.

You might think I’m talking about the month of August. But I’m not. August is the hero in my book Sea Gypsy. I never gave him a surname. He constantly sailed the seas in his yacht and answered to no-one.

One of my readers surprised me the other day by posting the cover on Facebook. She still has her copy even though it was published in 1977. I find this truly amazing.

August is a man who needs no-one and was less than pleased when eighteen year-old Jay Gordon got herself into trouble on the high seas and he was forced to take her on board. The story follows her volatile relationship with him and how she slowly discovers the reason he hates women.

Here is an excerpt:

Jay wondered what type of person would get on well with a sea gypsy. Certainly not anyone of a similar disposition, or one who was easily ruffled. They would need to be able to submit to authority, yet not be too easily swayed, as August would have no time for anyone without a mind of their own. It would take a person of remarkable insight, tremendous patience, and naturally a similar love of the sea to chum up with August – if indeed he allowed anyone to get near him again.

Not surprisingly Jay pondered on the woman who had once been his wife. What was it she had done to cause August such pain, such everlasting bitterness that it seemed unlikely he would ever love again? It was not a question she could ask, and as they would be in France within a matter of hours it was doubtful whether the opportunity for him to tell her would present itself. But it was a question that intrigued her. He must have loved his wife once – how could love change to hatred? Jay believed marriage to be a permanent institution and no one should take a partner unless he or she believed it would be a lasting union. So what had happened to upset August’s marriage?

“Where’s that food you promised me?”

August’s voice directly behind made her turn with a start. His rope-soled shoes had made no sound on the deck and she was amazed to see him standing so close. “I’ll do it now,” she said, jumping up. “When you fell asleep I decided that would do you more good.”

Surprisingly he touched her arm. “Stay a while. I’ve been watching you and wondered what it was that held your thoughts so deeply.”

They sat together, shoulders almost touching, and looked out across the sparkling, prancing waves. Jay knew he awaited her reply, but how could she tell him that he alone had held her attention? That it was his affairs that interested her? She could imagine his reaction. The hardening of those coal black eyes, the tightening of his lips. “What I do is no business of yours,” he would say. “The past is over and forgotten and I don’t want to be reminded of it.” But she could tell him how much she was enjoying this morning’s ride – and proceeded to do so.

8 comments:

  1. I love the vintage cover!

    It's always intriguing to discover the back story of those heroes who feel like they are totally fine on their own in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heroes are complicated creatures, aren't they? I love peeling away the layers to find the true man beneath.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Margaret! I love the description of the two characters, especially how I feel like I know him through Jay's eyes. Great excerpt, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt, Jennifer. I enjoyed reading it too after so many years. I sometimes surprise myself by what I have written.

      Delete
  3. That's an intriguing excerpt, Margaret. I want to know why he hates women now! And the name August fascinates me - maybe because August is my birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August just seemed to suit the guy I had in mind. To me it's a strong name - as was he!

      Delete
  4. I like the name Jay for the heroine. Two people at sea heading for France. Lots to think about and talk about. What a great setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. I remember thoroughly enjoying writing this book.

      Delete