Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Missing Boyfriend

 
Evidently this notice appeared in various places in London last week. Crowdwish is an online website which invites people to submit their 'wishes'. Every day they take the most popular wish, and try to action it. In this case, the wish for the 'half-decent boyfriend' was fastened to almost every lamp post in one area of London. I haven't heard whether this particular 'wisher' got the man of her dreams, but it seems many other girls have approached the group, also asking for a 'half decent boyfriend'.
 
It's an interesting story in itself, but what fascinated me more was the list of requirements for the boyfriend. Women (well, some of them!) may like to read about the arrogant, domineering alpha-man, the super-stud, or the billionaire play-boy - but in real life, they want something very different. This description fits what I consider as the alpha-minus, beta-plus man - and they're the ones I like to write about.
 
It's seems quite significant that physical attributes, although listed first, are minimal - tall, and with own hair and teeth. When we get to the 'real' needs, in every case the A-/B+ attributes are preferred to either the Alpha Plus type or Beta Minus type of male. It seems the Alpha males are going out of fashion, at least in the real world - which makes me wonder just why some women still like reading about them.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! I think I might use it in an upcoming book. And to answer your question, I think we often like to read about things that are very different from real life. In real life, alpha males aren't always what we want--they can be overbearing, etc. But in romances, when everything works out perfectly in the end, it's sometime satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could lead to an interesting story, couldn't it? Must admit, though, that I prefer to read about people I feel I could relate to in real life - which is why I write about characters like that!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jen. I think readers like to read about more alpha type makes because they aren't the real world. For me, most of the reading I do is to escape from reality.

    I know my own heroes tend to be a bit more perfect than they perhaps should be. But they sure are a heckuva lota fun to write that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, my heroes are also probably more perfect than they should be, but they are definitely not alpha males. I think you can escape into a make believe world without the hero being macho or domineering or arrogant. I prefer masculinity combined with sensitivity and consideration.

      Delete
  3. I think a heroine who can tame an alpha hero is powerful, and women readers might like to share the feeling of power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where we differ, Ana! I hate the idea of a woman having to 'tame' a man as much as I hate the 1980s notion of the man taming the woman. I want my characters to come together as equals, out of mutual respect, consideration, and of course love. 'Taming' suggests than one is stronger and more powerful than the other. Ugh - no thank you!

      Delete