Sunday, October 6, 2013

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander is coming to the small screen

I am a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I enjoyed the first book in the series the most, confirming, perhaps, that one can only fall in love for the first time once. If you've not read it, put in on your to read list.

Cable channel Starz is adapting the story for television for 2014. Lead actors have been cast, prompting a flurry of comments on the selections among devotees. One concern is whether human actors will match or clash with their mental images of lovers Claire and Jaime.

Another is how true to the original story the episodes will stick. The show True Blood certainly deviated into unrecognizable territory after several seasons.

What's you feeling about screen adaptations of beloved stories? What makes or breaks an adaptation for you?





9 comments:

  1. Who is in it? STARZ, yuck, I hope it comes to Netflix later. Do you know if there will ever be another book in the series? You're right about True Blood, when they moved away from the books it really got bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must confess I've never read any of the series but hope the TV series lives up to your expectations. Some adaptations are good, and I usually prefer a TV series which can show more of the story than a 2 hour film e.g. the BBC serialisation of Pride and Prejudice was infinitely better than the Keira Knightley movie, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irish actress Caitriona Balfe will play Claire, and Sam Heughan will play Jamie. Frank has been cast as well as others. I will try to upload pictures copied from the web-a-verse.

    Diana Gabaldon's website says she will have book 8 ready for release in 2014.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, the books are each so long and intricate, it will be a challenge to turn into any sort of show. It is going to be a series, I read, so probably better than a film, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read her books, but she's someone I've always wanted to try. Perhaps this will give me a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a good read, Jen. Definitely worth it. Plan on staying up late.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read the first one in this series...it's like super long right? And a time travel? I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the correct book.

    I had to smile when you mentioned "True Blood". They certainly have deviated way off book in the past couple of seasons. I'm still addicted, though. It's definitely my guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debra, yes. Outlander is a thick book, and it is a time travel. It was the second romance I ever read.

    ReplyDelete