Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Next Steps

Once again, I'm playing the writing waiting game. This time it's for the return of my signed contract, which will be accompanied by a link to the 'tasks' that I need to accomplish. From submission to contract was less than a week, so I really can't complain about this waiting. It's only been a couple of days since I sent in my signed copy of the contract.

But in the meantime, I can think about what needs to happen next.

I'll need to fill out a MIS (Manuscript Information Sheet). Here's where I'll choose an excerpt, blurb, dedication, and list snippets from reviews of my previous work. I'll also have to fill out a sheet for the art department so they can create my cover. This page lists pertinient information about my hero and heroine: looks, age, clothing choices. It also asks me to describe the theme and overall feel of my book, if it's part of a series, and what I want my cover to look like. I'll also be able to give some examples of other covers out of the TWRP catalog that I feel have the 'look' for my story.

I'm already running some blurbs through my mind. With a story this short, it's only 11,000 words, pulling an excerpt that doesn't give too much away is going to be a challenge, so I've been thinking about that, too. I have kind of a 'look' going for my other holiday stories, so I'll list A Christmas to Remember and An Unexpected Blessing for cover ideas. I figuring even doing some of the work in my head will put me ahead of the game when the forms arrive.

And then I'm wondering what kinds of edits my editor will suggest. She said she loved the story, so I'm pretty sure there are no major story points that are going to be changed. But I'm always curious about what phrases she picks out needing to be changed.

Ah well, I guess I'll find out soon enough, as soon as that double-signed contract for The Vampire and the Vixen comes through.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com


3 comments:

  1. My publisher and editor work very quickly once my book reaches the top of their publication pile. I sent my cover 'requests' last Saturday evening and, after a few back and forth emails, I had the final cover by Sunday morning! Yesterday the edits came, with only some minor wording and phrasing suggestions, and once I send those back, it will only be a few days before I get the final proofs to check.
    Hope your process goes as quickly and smoothly, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations! I'm currently in the process of filling out my cover art form too, and thinking ahead to the next steps. Planning is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be the fun part of being published!

    ReplyDelete