Saturday, May 21, 2011

getting better all the time

My account of how I try to improve my writing:

2003: The certainty I could write a better book than the one I'd just finished.
2004: A first draft, a dismal contest score.
2005: A correspondence course.
2006: Another correspondence course and a form rejection letter.
2007: Armloads of books, on-line courses.
2008: A new first draft.
2009: Another rejection, weekly self-published newsletters.
2010: Another first draft, and a second draft.
2011: Critiquing, plotting, more writing, blogging, critiques. Determination to finish my WIP and submit by the end of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ana,

    That's an impressive list! I can't even remember the year I first got a novel accepted for publication: not without looking at its publication date inside. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana,

    The great thing about having a list like yours is that you can track your progress and have a concrete record to make sure you are improving your writing (as you're obviously doing). Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goal for 2011! I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete