Thursday, November 4, 2010

Frankly My Dear...

I'm going to have to go with Scarlett as my favorite heroine: both in literary form and on the big screen.

To be honest, I can't put my finger on exactly why. There's just something about her. She's fiesty, she's determined, she's headstrong, yet at the same time she's vulnerable and scared: her entire world and way of life is changing right in front of her eyes. And when she finally figures out what (who) she really wants...well, Rhett walks out.

If it weren't for the sequel (Which was okay in literary form and a disaster as a mini-series...ugh.), we'd only be able to guess at what happens in the future.

But even without the sequel, we have a pretty good idea. Like I said she's determined and willing to fight for what she wants. No matter what. And she's not one to give up easily, as we are reminded in Margaret Mitchell's closing words: "After all, tomorrow is another day."

And indeed, it is.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

10 comments:

  1. I do agree about Scarlett, and wasn't she perfectly cast - Vivien Leigh - can't think of anyone else as Scarlett now.
    I have avoided any mini-series, and other writers writing a sequel to Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell was the consumate novelist. Her book is perfect. Scarlett is a girl who loses everything but forges ahead - the American dream personified, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep!

    I have a big fancily framed poster of Vivien as Scarlett on the wall in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I never liked Scarlett O'Hara! To me she was a selfish and spoilt brat. Okay, she was feisty and headstrong, and had the ability to pick herself up and start all over again when her comfortable world came crashing down around her. But she was a conniving and manipulative madam who cared only about herself and what she wanted. I was glad when Rhett finally walked out on her - she deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh Pauline don't wrap it up will you? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOL, sorry but I just don't like her - could you guess?? Having said that, I thought Vivien Leigh played her superbly well. I believe Katherine Hepburn virtually demanded the role be given to her, and lots of other Hollywood stars were considered before they found the right person to play Scarlett.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Paula. I never liked Scarlett's self-centeredness. Vivian Leigh played her to perfection. I adored the African-American actor who played her nurse, and Clark Gable was (always) divine. Rhett is my kind of hero.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She definitely is a little spoiled...there's just something about a southern belles that get me...

    I do adore Rhett...Clark Gable played him well.

    There's a great book and a documentary out there "The Making of Gone With the Wind". It has some great 'backstage' stuff in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about Rhett - until you discover that Vivien Leigh hated kissing Gable because of his bad breath. Oops, I'm being a party pooper again LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bette Davis wanted the role, as did Paulette Goddard. Thank goodness Selznik stuck out for Vivien she was perfect. So beautiful. All the cast were great. And I heard about Gable too - but I forget that every time I watch the movie. It is so sad that Vivien's manic depression prevented her from making more films of that calibre. Yes, I know she was great on the stage but I wish there was more of her on film.

    ReplyDelete