Thursday, July 8, 2010

More on Adverbs?

I think we've covered just about all there is to cover on adverbs this week within posts and comments on those posts. At least, I find myself with not much more to add.

For the heck of it, I flipped through my Author Guidebook from The Wild Rose Press to see what it had to say about the topic.

Here it is:

Evaluate each -ly adverb. Replace with a stronger verb.

It didn't really forbid me to use them. It didn't say I couldn't use them. It simply suggested an evaluation of them to see if something stronger could be used.

I think the important thing is to get the story told. There's always time later to go back and tweak and polish and edit and replace and revise. Because I'm telling you, when the words are flowing for me, I'm not going to be overly concerned if some of them have an "ly" at the end.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

  1. You are right about the flow of writing, Debra. But then there is the editing phase. Sometimes better word choices come to me. Other times, I think I censor too harshly and lose the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I do, Debra, reread and think of a better word. If nothing comes to mind, it stays.

    Cool..TWP gives you a guideline book? Any other tips you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that in the editing phase you can watch out for 'ly' words and try to find an alternative. But I think you're right, Ana, that if you try too hard, you lose your voice, and your writing loses its flow. And it's the OVER-USE of adverbs that is frowned upon, they're not totally forbidden!

    ReplyDelete