Monday, November 23, 2009

How does your family feel about your hours in chair?

My husband and son are used to seeing me in the chair. My husband is glad that it keeps me busy during the day, and my son doesn't understand what I do until the checks come in the mail.

Since I'm a stay at home Mom, it doesn't affect them much. When they are home, we gather in the living room, eat dinner, talk, and watch TV. During the evening, if I'm able to print my work, I'll do it during commercials or while I'm watching my son play Playstation online.

My family and friends are supportive and are looking forward to reading my first novel. I've been doing this for SO long, I have to be honest and admit that I really don't want anyone I know to read it, or at least tell me they read it.

I'm afraid it will be like when you hear all these great things about a movie and then when you go see it, you're disappointed.

Does this make sense?

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean by not wanting anyone you know to read your novel. When I was writing in the 60's and 70's, I told hardly anyone about my novels. Two or three close friends but that was it. Mainly because Mills and Boon (the equivalent of Harlequin here in the UK) were not regarded very highly.
    I was once stung by a comment from a friend when we were discussing literature generally and she said 'What would you know? You only write for Mills and Boon.'
    What people didn't realise was just how difficult it was to get a novel accepted by M&B or Harlequin.
    But basically I was actually embarrassed because I wrote romance novels. I think I still am, to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you understand, Paula!! LOL

    Unless you are a writer, most don't understand what it takes to BE A WRITER. The tears with every rejection, the discipline, the learning, the frustration when you sit and can't remember the exact word you're looking for!

    I didn't have a clue when I started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. I'm sure that most people think you can whip out a M&B/HQN novel in a couple of days flat. They have no idea of the blood, toil, tears and sweat that goes into writing any novel.
    Anyone who says that writing is easy is lying (or hasn't actually tried it!). Writing ISN'T easy, it's damn hard work.
    And rejection doesn't just cause tears, it makes you doubt your whole ability as a writer.

    ReplyDelete